New Mexico Courts
- NMSC Commission on Equity and Justice
Most Popular Pages
NMSC Commission on Equity and Justice
About the Commission
The NM Supreme Court formed the Commission in 2020 to study issues related to race and bias in the state’s justice system and to promote diversity among judges and judicial employees.
Mission and Goals
The mission of the New Mexico Supreme Court Commission on Equity and Justice is to study New Mexico’s justice system and make recommendations to achieve the following essential objectives:
- Eliminate biases and inequities within New Mexico’s justice system that are due to race, ethnicity, color, national or tribal origin, ancestry, citizenship, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or presentation, indigent status, physical, mental or developmental disability or condition, age, English language proficiency, parenting status or pregnancy, and other characteristics identified by the Commission;
- Give all persons equitable access to the state’s justice system;
- Add transparency to the state’s justice system and make sure that all persons are treated equitably within it;
- Provide education and training to judges and court staff to accomplish the foregoing objectives; and
- Provide educational and professional opportunities for prospective lawyers, judges, and employees from underrepresented groups, so that all groups are equitably represented within the state’s judiciary and other aspects of its judicial functioning.
Upcoming Meeting Dates
January 20, 2023
March 31, 2023
June 16, 2023
August 25, 2023
November 17, 2023
Please contact Twila or Tesha at email@example.com for more information and to participate.